If you think sugar is the main problem with Halloween candies, read the labels and try not to be surprised at what lurks in a child’s trick-or-treat bag.
“Most Halloween candies are full of artificial dyes that are made from petroleum,” said Jane Hersey, National Director of the nonprofit Feingold Association.
Studies have linked both artificial food additives and dyes with hyperactivity and other behavior problems in children. “That’s why many teachers and parents consider the day after Halloween to be the worst day of the year,” said Hersey. “I call this phenomenon ‘Halloween Hangover.’”
Protect Your Kids From Too Much Candy
- Feed them a healthy meal before going trick or treating and limit how much candy they can eat along the way
- At home trade collected candy for natural treats, money for a special toy or a trip to a favorite activity
- Opt for an old-fashioned Halloween or fall-themed party where children are given homemade and natural treats
- Shop to find candy treats that don’t use artificial flavors or colors and encourage others to do the same
- Ask teachers and club leaders to forego candy at parties and instead provide healthy snacks
Some treats to consider from the Feingold Association:
Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares
Surf Sweets Gummi Candies
Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses
Florida’s Natural Au’some Fruit Juice Nuggets
Pearson’s Chocolate Covered Mint Patties
Great Value (Walmart) Peanut Butter Cups
Yummy Earth Lollipops
Don’t forget the grown ups. Treat them to Panda All Natural Licorice, the first all-natural licorice brand of candies, available in chews and bars. Black licorice, cherry and raspberry. No preservatives and no artificial colors and flavors. Fat-free, guilt-free and yumm-y. Find at natural food stores or worldfiner.com.
Give kids Glee Gum, an all-natural, gluten-free chewing gum with no artificial coloring, flavoring, sweeteners or preservatives. Glee Gum is the only gum in North America made the old-fashioned way, with chicle. Say no to other gums that are nearly all synthetic. Find at natural food stores or gleegum.com.
A delicious and festive treat from Strawberry Hill Confectionery are Whirl-E-Pops, made with ingredients like organic honey and organic maple syrup. Choose from the maple leaf, Jack-O-Lantern, ghosts or bats in honey-cranberry, honey-orange, honey-lemon, honey-ginger, orange and more. All Natural and Organic, Peanut Free, Gluten Free, GMOs Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Corn Free. StrawberryHillConfectionery.com.